A389 MMXI

Posted by Evan | Posted in | Posted on 9:39 PM


   A389 released a brand new sampler featuring some of the best bands out there, including but not limited to: Gehenna, Penetration Panthers, The Love Below, and Pulling Teeth! Like last year, I did a song-by-song review:

Deathhammer “In Baltimore There Is No Law”

I didn't really give this band enough attention on the last sampler, but this track is a great listen. The opening section has this strong Sabbath feel then it gets this 80's thrash metal tinge a la Megadeth. I really dug this track much more than the last one.

Ancient Shores “BTK” 

The track really didn't stand out until around the halfway mark, where everything was cranked to eleven. I'm not completely sold on the band – yet – but I'm sure I'll end up buying the EP. 

Hatewaves “Poser Politics”

The band's debut 7” was probably one of my most played last year – perhaps because the length was under six minutes. This continues that style of take no prisoners, fuck the world hardcore that I can't get enough of. I was beyond stoked after hearing a new Hatewaves record was in the works.

Homewrecker “Internal Morgue”

I'm not going to lie... When I heard Judas wasn't doing the split with The Love Below, it really bummed me out. But after hearing this track and a couple others, I've been more than reassured. That split is going to fucking rock. John, from Weekend Nachos, doing guest vocals certainly doesn't hurt either. 

Full Of Hell “Rat King”

Along with Ancient Shores, this is one of the newer A389 signings. I have to admit this is my first listen and I really like it. Definitely has a heavy metal feel with harsh as hell vocals. Good stuff. 

Pulling Teeth “From Birth” 

Pulling Teeth is without a doubt one of my favorite bands and tracks like “From Birth” reinforces why I love them. Between Mike's vocals and Dom's solo (Holy shit), this makes me want to hear the new LP immediately. PT is going to rule 2011. 

Pala “Don't Ever Think You're In Control”

I've tried multiple times getting into Pala and for some reason, I just can't. This is a very tight, interesting track but it falls short for me. The clean vocals are a nice touch though.

Gravehill “Kill All That Lives”

What can I say about this track? Taken from one of the best demos around, this is just perfect old school Hellhammer influenced music with strong hints of Autopsy thrown in for good measure. I'm glad to see this track – and hopefully the demo – get the attention it deserves. Perfection from the Gehenna camp.

Integrity “+Orrchida”

The duo of Dwid and +Orr may be one of the most exciting match ups in recent memory. This track in particular is like if Integrity performed a blood ritual and resurrected Randy Uchida for a minute and half. I can't wait to hear an album full of +Orr tracks. 

Seven Sisters Of Sleep “Passed Out Standing” 

Boasting members of Tafkata, Enewetak, and Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God, SSOS does not disappoint. This is just one of eight ridiculously tracks from their debut LP. Seeing them in Baltimore during the A389 Showcase was awesome. They are the real deal. 

Weekend Nachos “Black Earth”

I just started listening to Weekend Nachos so I've been enjoying their back catalog; cleaner vocals make this one different than the previous material, but it still is punishing. Looks like another release that I'll have to pick up. 

Withdrawal “Rotten Hell”

Here's another band that I regret sleeping on. After releasing a very good 7” and a split tape, this is another glimpse at a promising Integrity loving band. Don't be fooled into thinking it's another rip-off band. Withdrawal is a fresh, bloodthirsty beast. Usually I don't dig long samples, even if they're well done but this is done well and really gels well with the track. Don't sleep on this band!

Witch-Lord “Blood Of Kali”

One of my favorites track on this sampler. My words don't do it justice so here's Mike Cheese's: “This total desolation. This is what BLACK SABBATH would have sounded like if they really worshiped Satan, they had higher grade psychedelic drugs, and they hated mankind.”

Seraphim “Frustrations”

I forgot about this band after a period of playing their 7” repeatedly. “Frustrations” really make me question why doesn't this band get the love it deserves. It's different without polarizing the listener. The LP is going to be so good. 

Anne “Get It How You Live”

This track was completely unexpected. In a metal/punk/thrash dominated bunch, this was refreshing and very well done. I definitely want to hear more of this group.

Roses Never Fade “Goodbye To You”

A supergroup featuring members of Vvegas, Integrity, and Pale Creation, how can one go wrong? A thought provoking piece of art. 

Mighty Sphincter “Resurrection”

One of the best bands around. Gothic punk that will delight some and bewilder others. Seeing A389 give this band some love was great to see. Pick up the new 7”. It will please any MS fan.

Xibalba “Bright Sun”

This song – and most of Xibalba's material – makes me want to rampage through the streets in a primal rage. After wearing out my CD, I'm glad to see this on vinyl. Break shit and listen to this at full volume. 

Pharaoh “I Murderer, I”

A heavy number that sounds even better live. Listening to this number, I'm reminded of Caulfield. They mix heaviness with something evil... brooding until finally exploding in a murderous nightmare. I was in love with the band twenty seconds into this song.

Ringworm “Voluntary Human Extinction”

This song sounds so gnarly and its live to boot. Ringworm hasn't lost a bit of its savageness and like the PT track this makes me want to hear new material right away. Supposedly there's a new full length in the works along with a split with Mind Snare, another band featured on the sampler. 

Triac “Hole”

Excellent grindcore. I enjoy the last two releases with the new singer a lot more than the older material but to be completely honest, any band that uses a picture of Frank (From Blue Velvet) on an album cover is OK in my book.

Rot In Hell “Erebus”

If you know me, then you know I'm obsessed with Rot In Hell. They could release an album of fart noises and I'd buy it (Not really...). Anyway, this is from the excellent live piece “Niu”. This, to my knowledge, hasn't been released properly yet so here's hoping to a new 7” or 12”. 

The Love Below “Rotten Fruit From A Shitty Tree”

Like RIH, I've got nothing but love for TLB. This track shows the band at a new level, taking a step away from the LFD styled hardcore to create something new. Jerry's vocals still stand out and the guitar work is great. I cannot wait for the split with Homewrecker and the full length.

Gehenna “Caveman”

All Hail The Seven Crowns!

Penetration Panthers “Wasted Mind”

Penetration Panthers is like the bastard son of GG Allin & The Jabbers; you get killer guitars, a catchy beat, and gnarly vocals. After hearing a demo number a while back – courtesy of Mike Apocalypse's blog – I was hooked. I love the dirty rock n' roll sound.

Pick Your Side “Help Me Forget”

Picking up right where Haymaker ended, Pick Your Side is pissed off and volatile. Hopefully this 7” is just the start of a prolific monster. If a track like this doesn't make you want to hurl Molotov cocktails at passing police cars, I don't know what will. 

Blind To Faith “RJ”

Blind To Faith is the soundtrack to the apocalypse. Bringing together members of Reproach, Skullhog, and Rise And Fall, Blind To Faith put out a 12” that bulldozed through a sea of bullshit. This one, from the Gehenna split, is no different. Audio violence at its finest with Stephen Kickback doing guest vocals. The new 12” needs to come out now...

Oathbreaker “Downfall”

I'm a sucker for well done female fronted hardcore. I downloaded their EP a long time ago and then for some reason Oathbreaker fell off my radar. How stupid. This is just straight forward hardcore with tinges of metal. I think TDON still has this record in stock so do yourself a favor and pick it up if you like bands like LBAL. 

Creepout “War Against”

Just like Xibalba, this makes me want to run wild in the streets. Taking influences from bands like Integrity, Creepout blends together a number with crisp guitars and perfect mosh sections. Seeing the lead singer back up Dwid during “Vocal Test” was completely unexpected but great. 

Mindsnare “Final Call” 

I really dig this track and can definitely see why people love this band. No frills metal with a brutal edge. A split with Ringworm is going to be killer. 

Children Ov God “You Will Suffer”

Each time I hear this band, they get better and better. After a demo full of great potential a new EP I believe is in the works – I can only hope! COG is one of many bands like Hordes, The Love Below, and the now defunct Judas that make me want to pack everything up and move out to California. 

Pale Creation “Bleed The Soil”

I accept this gift of art. 

Amen Ra “Am Kreuz” 

This is a band showcasing why they're one of the best; slow parts seamlessly go into fast sections and vice-versa. I'm not too well versed regarding this band but I hope to one day own all their stuff on vinyl. Heavy, heavy music. 

Integriteeth “New Manson Family” 

This is what happens when you have Dwid front Pulling Teeth pay homage to the great Mighty Sphincter. It's certainly an interesting take, especially with Dwid's signature vocal delivery but it's awesome nonetheless. 

Shin To Shin “Drifting Away”

So good. With a killer split (With PT) under their belt, Shin To Shin is back at with another face melting track. I hope this is a preview of their full length because I could listen to Shin To Shin all day long and never grow bored. 

Oak “Cowards & Undeserving (Part II)”

Like DeathHammer, I really wasn't blow away by Oak on the last sampler. I must've got a longer attention span or something because now I can't get enough of bands like Oak. Slow, brooding doom done til perfection. Another record I need to add to the collection. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment